Every week we have a vegetarian and a fish night. Now that summer is on its way there will also be a raw night. I believe 80/20 ratio fits my families lifestyle completely. 80% of the time we are incredibly healthy- always cook fresh and have a good mix of protein, carbs and fat. the other 20% of the time we have what we want when we want it. I find this helps when we eat out, when the kids are given those foods I dont give them myself by well-meaning others and if you can eat what you want when you want it you are less likely to binge or somehow ‘fail’ oursleves.
In this vein Easter was a little indulgent. There was some rubbish chocolate involved, but there was also some great nutrition there too. I even got my husband a little inspired by raw foods. Since then I thought I would start to get creative with my vegetarian options.
I love salad, craved it in my last pregnancy and would happily eat it every day of the week. My husband is Irish ( he loves his potatos, bread and simple foods). We compromise with meals. Tonight was a big compromise on his part. He ate it but he didnt like it. Thats ok, I enjoyed it and my 10 month old son ate it all up, but my daughter (who is coming up to 3 and a half) decided that she wasn’t having any. Fine too. I explained that there was nothing in there that she didn’t like, and to be fair she tried it. I think we forget how much they absorb and watch. Since my husband was making a fuss- so did she. There was little chance she was going to eat it when she had a model (one she massively looks up too) to copy. Who knows what might have happened if it was just the 3 of us round the table. Think about how many times we say my kids wont eat that, they are fussy eaters. What would happen if we only ever said- lets see what they like and if I am sitting there eating it maybe they might pick up their forks and absorb and watch. 10 times (kid and adult alike) you have to try something before you taste buds adapt. Most of it is all in your head. As long as the taste buds receive sweet, salty, bitter and spicy- they are happy!
Anyway here’s my new fav salad:
Sprouted Lentil Citrus Slaw and Sprouted Lentil hummus
1 cup of soaked and Sprouted lentils (soak for 12 hours then keep wash lentils morning and night for 2 days while they grow shoots 1-2cm long)
1 large grated carrot
1 Peeled and grated apple (up to here is what my 9 month old son had)
1 cup of finely sliced red cabbage
!/2 Onion finely diced
1/2 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley and mint
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
juice of half an orange
juice of half a lemon
1/2 tbs Apple cider vinegar
1tbs Olive oil
pinch paprika (had my daughters mix without this ingredient)
Salt and pepper
Hummus (Whizz all ingredients together in a food processor until reach desired consistancy- add oil and cooking water sparingly)
(3 handfuls of the above lentils)
3 cloves of garlic (roasted-makes the garlic a little sweeter)
1 tbs vegetable cooking water (or stock)
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs sesame seeds (beware when giving this to infants- can be allergenic. I have had no reaction from my son when they have been previously introduced)
salt and pepper and a little of the above dressing
I am very happy- what do you think?
Here is where I got some inspiration for my recipe;