I have a 6 month old who is loving eating, a 3 year old who has an adventurous palate, a gluten intolerant dad who we live with and a husband who is unenthusiastic about eating vegetarian food as he doesnt think it will fill him up (He’s also Irish, the land of meat and 2 veg!) So I am always on the hunt for Gluten free recipes (I am feeling totally different since removing gluten from my diet) and tasty vegetarian meals for my meatless once a week night. I really like these. I made them the size of panjacks and I didn’t read the recipe properly so didnt soak them for as long (surprised?!) as I didnt have time. I also think they would be nice flavoured with cumin or with some turmeric. Also some thyme, rosemary or coriander would be nice too. Will report back on that!
I served these with spicy 10 bean burgers (recipe to follow but a little like my lentil burgers), feta and pomegranate, hummus, tzatziki and a green salad. Surprisingly the burgers were the biggest hit with my 3 year old and with the egg replacement (flax) I could then give them to my 6 month old! Happy days these will be made again!
- 1 cup raw quinoa (unsoaked, dry Quinoa), pulsed in a grinder or food processor to the desired consistency- I went for just a bit smaller but you could do finer)
- 1 cup All purpose gluten free flour which is just a mix of different GF flour (if you use some coconut flour add a bit more water)
- 1 egg (1 tsp ground flax seed mixed with 2 tsp of water as a replacement)
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the processed quinoa, flour, egg, water, salt and pepper and let it soak for an hour. (I only had time for 15 mins and it was fine!!)
- Heat a greased pan over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of the pan, cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for another 5 minutes. (I made them pan-jack size