Cherry Vanilla Water Kefir
I play with kefir flavours all the time-I love to introduce new ones in my classes. Whatever is in my fridge or cupboard gets tried out! I use dried fruit, fresh fruit, stewed and juiced fruit! I use vegetables too (cucumber and mint water kefir is lovely) I even use cacao nibs. Some I love and so I then make a huge batch of it. This is a recipe that I love!
Black Cherries are in abundance and the tart fizzy flavour of the cherries in the water kefir is so well balanced by the vanilla. I use very concentrated vanilla essence (like this one). I have tried it with fresh vanilla pod and it is nice too. Also it goes the prettiest colour!
I normally ferment with an open vessel because in the humidity and heat of the summer- potential for explosion is very high. However I decided to use a shorter fermentation time. I used the fido lid this time and fermented this for 8 hours and then refrigerated it. You may need to adjust the timings of the ferment so that it is suitable for your climate. I always taste my ferments as I go past to see if it needs longer- and the key to good flavour is fermenting to taste.
- Once the water kefir is strained pour into a flip top topped bottle like this one
- Add cherries to the bottle and close
- I fermented this for between 8-10 hours but you may need to leave it for up to 24 depending on your climate.
- Store in the fridge when you like the taste
- Be careful when you ferment with lids as carbon dioxide is a by product of fermentation.
- Ensure you allow gas to escape by opening your bottles periodically.
- See here for how to make water kefir
Follow Loula Natural’s board +Loula Natural’s Fermenting Inspiration+ on Pinterest.