I am such a massive fan of apples. They are great for digestion, the fibre feeds bacteria and helps to regulate blood sugar levels, the acids in apples also help liver detoxification and digestive healing. The peels are also packed with nutrients like antioxidants! It’s no wonder they have the ‘apple a day keeps the doctor away’.
I am glad my kids love them too as we often have apple slices with nut butter as snacks (cut the apple into disks without coring and they even make good ‘sandwiches’!). You can make apple sauce with peels on or off- I then use my peels to make apple cider vinegar or in my stock pot so every bit of goodness is used
Whenever I see reduced apples I buy them up and put them in the slowcooker (I have this one) to make slow cooked apple sauce. This goes in the fridge to make apple Kefir, apple muffins, and in our Chia Porrige, Pork chops, sauerkraut and now my apple pie smoothie.
- 1 cup of Oat Milk
- 2 tbs Kefir (I Like the taste of dairy kefir in this but you could use Almond milk kefir too or yoghurt)
- 2 tbs Apple Sauce (see above)
- 2 tbs ground almond (almond meal)
- 1tbs nut butter
- 1tbs cultured/raw butter
- 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs coconut ginger sugar (can also use 1 tbs coconut sugar and 1/2 tsp powdered ginger or grated fresh ginger root)
- 1-2 tbs chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Add all to your blender blend and consume away from the kids- or they will drink it all!!