Elderberry Cordial or Cough Syrup
Elderberries are amazing for the immune system. See my Nutrient Fact Sheet here. There is already a well known cough syrup that contains them, this one knocks it out of the park! I have used it for months for my family (kids included), to make Kefir, Gummies and as a cordial with sparkling water. Because this is so concentrated, it will last for ages!
- 1.5 cup dried elderberries (see here)
- 7 cups of water
- 2 T fresh or dried ginger root (ginger powder can also work)
- 1 tbs cinnamon powder or 1 cinnamon bark stick
- 1 tbs cloves or 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 4 Star Anise
- Juice of one lemon or orange (optional)
- 1/2 cup of dried Cherries (optional)
- 1tbs fresh tumeric root (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup raw honey (sweeten to taste but raw honey also has immune boosting properties)
- Bring the water and Elderberries to the boil in a non reactive saucepan (ie stainless steel). Allow to simmer for 20 mins. Allow to cool slightly. Strain Elderberries through a muslin bag or strainer, squeezing to extract all the juice.
- Throw everything else together (except the honey) into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced to half (about 15 mins). I then let the mixture cool with all the bits still in to try and get every bit of goodness!
- When it has cooled (it may still be a little warm) strain out the elderberries and roots and spices. Add the honey to the liquid and stir. Pour into a jar or bottle (you will have about 2 cups of liquid- about a litre).
- Is great mixed with soda water, in water Kefir as a second ferment, in Gummies or on its own off a spoon when necessary.
Here are some other coughs, colds and natural remedy posts;
What do you do when you get sick- Fevers
What do you do when your Kids get sick
Naturopath’s First Aid Kit
Naturopaths Family Travel Kit
Cheerfully Imperfect- Wet Sock Treatment
Mix Wellness; 12 step program to stay healthy (naturally)
Homestead Garden; Here is another recipe for How to make elderberry syrup
Every morning I wince through my shot of Apple Cider Vinegar, this morning inspired by here and here I thought I would try something different. I add cinnamon to almost everything and the raw honey goes in the smoothie (or if I am feeling a bit run down or the kids have a sore throat it goes straight in the mouth!) so the combination is a winner for me! Further diluted this is great for kids (over 1 as it contains raw honey). Apple Cider Vinegar is also super simple to make at home- here is my recipe Apple peels and Water!
1 tall glass of filtered water
2 tsp Raw Honey
1-2 tablespoons of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (it should still contain ‘the mother’)
I whizz it up in the blender as the raw honey and cinnamon don’t dissolve too well otherwise. I add a couple of little star ice cubes cause that makes me feel like its a little bit of magic!
Why do I have a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar every morning (source)
- Has anti-tumor potential
- Prevents bladder stones and urinary tract infections
- Strengthen the immune system
- Increase stamina
- Alleviate symptoms of arthritis and gout
- Reduce sinus infections and sore throats
- Balance high cholesterol
- Improve skin conditions such as acne
- Protect against food poisoning
- Increase metabolism which promotes weight loss
- Improve digestion and improve constipation
- Prevent muscle fatigue after exercise
- Fight allergies in both humans and animals
Apple cider vinegar contains potassium and enzymes that may produce an alkalizing effect within the body, stimulates digestion and that may relieve fatigue (something I need in the morning as I am still feeding my son!). Much better than coffee (which I dont like the taste of anyway!)
Here it is again with a whole tray of ice cubes blended it- most cooling drink ever!