Lemon, Orange and Ginger Curd
I love lemon curd- this is so easy to make- can’t believe I never made it before- its actually very healthy- full of protein and fats. I add it to my smoothies, chia porridge, toast, to frost cookies or simply off the spoon!
Lemon, Orange and Ginger Curd
I zesty and sharp but sweet twist on traditional Lemon Curd. Really nutritious.
- 3 lemons (zest and juice so unwaxed organic if possible)
- 1 orange (zest and juice so unwaxed organic if possible)
- thumbnail sized piece of ginger grated.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g coconut sugar
- 3 Organic eggs
- Put all the ingredients in a heat proof bowl and whisk over a bain marie.(Picture below.
- Keep on low heat whisking continuously so the eggs don't cook too quickly and scramble.
- Keep going till it thickly coats the back of a spoon and is glossy.
- Pour into large jar (makes about 500g) allow to let cool and then refrigerate.
- This will keep in the fridge for weeks. Spread it thick on toast, crackers or add to baking. I also use it as a frosting for cookies!
- Can also be had straight off a spoon!
Loula Natural http://loulanatural.com/
Here is the bain marie set up;
Frosting cookies with it;
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
We have a protein shake every morning with our breakfast. I used to use a pumpkin seed protein mostly because its unflavoured and I am not a huge whey protein fan. Nowadays we just just nuts and seeds in our quest to eat as close to nature as possible. This Pumpkin smoothie is great tasting but also really filling and satisfying.
Both of my kids have had morning smoothies from around 6 months (although I kept them nut free for the first year). My eldest would have porridge and it was not keeping her full up till lunch. I was adding ground almonds and berries when she was one however she would still be looking for food an hour after. Since I was already having a smoothie myself I started giving her some. She’s had one every morning since! Now my youngest is also not complete in the morning without his smoothie!
Breakfast= smoothie then muesli then apple!
Check out all my other breakfast recipes here
I love pumpkin. I love it in soup, pie, roasted, chipped and puréed. I found organic canned pumpkin but also prefer making my own pumpkin puree. This is a twist on our regular morning smoothie and my kids and I think its delicious. The hubby is going along with it but he has issues with using veggies in sweet mode (he eats my beetroot brownies alright though!!)
2 cups of oat milk/Almond Milk
1/3 cup of organic pumpkin puree
1 banana (I keep mine in the fridge- but a frozen one would be nice too)
1 tbs peanut butter (or other nut butters- optional)
2 scoops protein powder/almond meal/ground flax/ground seed mix (30g protein- optional)
Tsp Pumpkin Spice powder (to taste so add more or less)
Vanilla (essence, pod or paste)
1 tsp maple sugar (coconut nectar, maple syrup- optional)
1 tbs coconut oil/ghee/butter
you can also add 2 tbs kefir (dairy or water) for a probiotic kick
Whizzzzz up. This serves 3 glasses.
Delicious- I also love sequins!!
Other pumpkin recipes;
Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Immune boosting pumpkin pie spice