I absolutely love my slow cooker. I bought my first one just before my daughter was born because I thought that throwing things into one and leaving it and dinner is served when you need it. My first one cracked and I felt like I was without my right hand for the week it took me to replace it! This is the one I have now but they all do the job! I prefer the ones with the ceramic pots.
I use it for soooooo many things and it is one everyday for either my stock, stewing apples, making pumpkin and porridge when it is cold, cottage pie, its the only lasagna (and my squash lasagna), stews and whole chickens are super simple and never ever dry and bland!
This is one of my favourite adaptations of a classic. This recipe calls for flour which I adapted to use coconut flour. The secret to this is to use a decent red wine- one you would want to drink with the meal! My dad loves his wine and so we have a great number to choose from (two wine fridges and then some).
- 800g Beef Brisket cubed
- 500mls Red Wine- Burgundy is preferable
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots cut up
- 1-2 stalks of celery sliced
- 1-2 tbs coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil/butter/ghee or coconut oil (your choice)
- Pre- heat slow cooker if necessary
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions and garlic
- Brown meat, add flour- stir well so evenly covered
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients
- Add to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-7 hours
- I serve my stews with steamed green veg finished with a knob of butter and parsnip rice or sweet potato mash