Oil Pulling; how and why
Here is an extract of my diary…
Day 1 of my oil pulling regime. Its my 35th birthday. Persistant apple shape figure from teenage years- mild to severe IBS for over 10 years and trying to get back to health after 2 kids. Also quick anger and frustrations levels, stressed and very sensitive to criticism. I found out today in a BioResonance session how many things I am sensitive to including parasites, molds, dairy, wheat and eggs- I am feeling empowered to start somewhere and this is a simple way to do it! I am still breastfeeding my 1 year old so am taking things gently and safely. I am not waiting to do it in the morning- my kids are too demanding- since I am generally up later 10-11pm and I eat a 6.30pm I am going to do it before bed.
Day 2- Intrigued and motivated I thought I would try in the morning! I am doing it for 5 mins for now- it does give you a bit of a jaw ache to begin with so am setting a timer, then spiting it in the toilet and sloshing my mouth out 3 times with water. You can go up to 20 mins! I am gonna start at 5 and see how it goes. I am using coconut oil for now- I might get some sesame oil (the traditional Aurevedic oil to use) too as sesame have big liver connections and alternate on each day! Following it with my Apple Cider Vingar drink
Not having any fruit is the hardest- although I did make a vegetable only green juice with coconut water kefir and milk thistle seeds in it- that should be easy to keep up!
Read that twice a day oil pulling is recommended for some I thought I would do it once or twice as necessary and able to!
This was July 2013! I am still oil pulling and have seen huge differences. I have even seen a cavity heal! How does it work?
Ayurveda says that the method will
“benefit the individual at the physical level and the energy level” (source)
The theory is that it will draw toxins out and therefore support the body. This is why you spit it out at the end- so that you do not re-ingest the toxins. To read more about Aurvedic principles of oil pulling do so here
My take on it from a Naturopath and nutritional therapy point of view is that coconut oil contains many antibacterial and nourishing aspects. The mouth has a dense system of blood vessels very close to a thin and porous surface. By keeping the oil in your mouth you are allowing the nutrients access to the blood (especially the easily digested medium-chain fatty acids which are coconut’s wonder fat) as well as exercising the face and jaw, saliva secretion is also stimulated. All great for the digestive system’s health and strength. Of course little bits of oil are swallowed at the same time so you are also getting a small benefit that way.
The physical action of oil pulling will strengthen your jaw (anyone who has tried it already can attest to this!). This is beneficial to digestion because the action of the jaw can help stimulate the muscles through the digestive tube to pass the food through- peristalis. Cosmetically it is also reported to help to improve the appearance of a double chin. Neck muscles and cervical spine shape and length may also be thus improved and strengthened. Facial exercises are often recommended to help lessen the appearance of wrinkles and to improve tone to the face- swooshing can definitely be described as a facial exercise- win win!
How to Oil pull
Traditionally done with sesame oil- oil pulling has had a massive following using coconut oil. Any oil can be used although some are stronger in flavour than others.
use one tablespoon a day. Again traditionally done in the morning. I think if it means you actually do it do it anytime. However in the morning before food or drink is the best time
Swoosh in your mouth and through your teeth without swallowing for between 5-20 mins. The best thing to do is to do it while you are getting breakfast ready/in the shower or generally have something else to think about when you are doing it.
Spit it out in the bin, down the toilet or in a tissue. (DO NOT spit down the sink!)
Traditionally this is then followed by a salt water gargle to ensure you rid all impurities.
The health benefits of oil pulling include;
Oil pulling is cheap- you only need to have the oil (coconut or sesame)
Supports the immune system by rebalancing bacterial environment in your mouth. This may also heal gums, treate gum disease and some oral infections (tooth abscess etc)
This may also prevent and diminish bad breath and also body odour.
It may help to brighten and whiten teeth
It is reported to reduce inflammation including joint inflammation
May help improve skin, hair and nails
May help to reduce IBS symptoms
Has been seen to help speed up recovery from cold/flu symptoms.
May help to create and clear mucous (thus removing toxins)
The health benefits doing oil pulling with coconut oil are;
- Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
- Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
- Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
- Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
- Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
- Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
- Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
- Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
- Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
- Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
- Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
- Helps protect against osteoporosis.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
- Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
- Improves digestion and bowel function.
- Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Supports tissue healing and repair.
- Supports and aids immune system function.
- Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
- Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
- Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
- Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Functions as a protective antioxidant.
- Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
- Does not deplete the body’s antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
- Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
- Reduces epileptic seizures.
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
- Dissolves kidney stones.
- Helps prevent liver disease.
- Is lower in calories than all other fats.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
- Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
- Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
- Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
- Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
- Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
- Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
- Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
- Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
- Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
- Helps control dandruff.
- Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
- Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
- Is completely non-toxic to humans.
More information on oil pulling from my fellow bloggers;