Gluten Free Lemon and Orange Shortbread
Shortbread has to be the easiest biscuit to make with kids- there are not many ingredients, it gets whipped up together, it can be made healthy (see my recipe) and the kids love using their fingers to ‘roll’ it out before using cookie cutters!
It is a pretty fool proof recipe! Best thing about it is the kids can eat the uncooked dough!!!
- 1 cup butter, softened (best to use butter from grass fed cows)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups Oat/buckwheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour/almond meal
- Preheat oven to 200 c degrees.
- Cream butter and coconut sugar in a large bowl with the K beater.
- Add lemon and orange zest and blend well.
- By hand, add in flour a little at a time.
- Dough will be crumbly so try to work it together by hand until smooth.
- Flour the counter-top- I also have an icing sheet which works well to do the rest on the table with the kids.
- Pat dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters and cut them out and keep pressing out and cutting until dough is finished.
- Arrange biscuits on some baking paper and place on a baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes in a until they start to brown.
Here is the cookie cutter I used
Here is where I get the almond meal from- Raw Almond Milk
Here is the shortbread frosted with my Lemon, Orange and Ginger Curd– match made in heaven!