Avocado Chocolate Frosted Beetroot Brownie
For a decadent treat why not try this frosted brownie. Made from real food ingredients- this gluten and dairy free alternative maximises nutrients without compromising rich chocolaty flavour.
I make Beetroot Brownies all the time for the kids snacks and combined with this Avocado chocolate frosting you will never be able to over eat this!!!!
Perfect for when you want a real treat!
- 400g/2 1/2 cups Raw Beetroot peeled and roughly chopped (use plastic gloves if you don’t want to stain your fingers) then add to saucepan and boil/steam till tender.
- 150g/1 cup Plain Chocolate,
- 100g/1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract,
- 100g/3/4 cup Coconut sugar
- pinch of salt (pink rock salt or sea salt)
- 3 Eggs (To replace one egg: 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds/chia 3 tablespoons water (or other liquid) I have done this completely egg free and they still turned out great. Stir together until thick and gelatinous)
- 4 Tbs almond meal (can also use buckwheat, oat or coconut flour)
- 120/ 1 1/4 Cup Raw Cacao,
- 2 tsp baking powder (Aluminium free).
- 1tbs Gelatin (optional)
- For the Frosting
- 1 Avocado
- 8 Small pitted dates (or half the amount of Medjool dates)
- 4 tbs of Raw Cacao
- Vanilla Essence
- 2-4 tbs Nut milk
- Hazelnut Essence (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- To make the brownies;
- Heat oven to 180C and grease a tray bake pan.
- Roughly chop chocolate, and put in food processor with cooked beetroot, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Whizz until mixture is smooth.
- In another bowl, beat sugar, eggs and salt until foamy and thick.
- Fold in beetroot mixture.
- Sift in Almond meal/flour, cacao and baking powder; gently fold.
- Stir through optional extras.
- Pour into tray bake or use a silicon mini muffin tin and cook for 20mins.
- Cool completely in tin then cut into squares. Then add frosting.
- This can easily be a cake, just don’t cut into squares! It is quite moist as a cooked cake so store in the fridge.
- To make Frosting
- Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and keep tasting and adjust if necessary.
- Blend until smooth.
- You can then add more nuts, coconut or chocolate chips to the mix but I like to keep them plain
Perfect for Valentines Day!