Elderberries are amazing for the immune system. See my Nutrient Fact Sheet here. There is already a well-known cough syrup that contains them, this elderberry cordial and cough syrup knocks it out of the park! I have used it for months for my family (kids included), to make Kefir, Gummies and as a cordial with sparkling water. Because this is so concentrated, it will last for ages!
- 1.5 cup dried elderberries (see here)
- 7 cups of water
- 2 T fresh or dried ginger root (ginger powder can also work)
- 1 tbs cinnamon powder or 1 cinnamon bark stick
- 1 tbs cloves or 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 4 Star Anise
- Juice of one lemon or orange (optional)
- 1/2 cup of dried Cherries (optional)
- 1tbs fresh tumeric root (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup raw honey (sweeten to taste but raw honey also has immune boosting properties)
- Bring the water and Elderberries to the boil in a non reactive saucepan (ie stainless steel). Allow to simmer for 20 mins. Allow to cool slightly. Strain Elderberries through a muslin bag or strainer, squeezing to extract all the juice.
- Throw everything else together (except the honey) into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced to half (about 15 mins). I then let the mixture cool with all the bits still in to try and get every bit of goodness!
- When it has cooled (it may still be a little warm) strain out the elderberries and roots and spices. Add the honey to the liquid and stir. Pour into a jar or bottle (you will have about 2 cups of liquid- about a litre).
- Is great mixed with soda water, in water Kefir as a second ferment, in Gummies or on its own off a spoon when necessary.
Here are some other coughs, colds and natural remedy posts;
What do you do when you get sick- Fevers
What do you do when your Kids get sick
Naturopath’s First Aid Kit
Naturopaths Family Travel Kit
Cheerfully Imperfect- Wet Sock Treatment
Mix Wellness; 12 step program to stay healthy (naturally)
Homestead Garden; Here is another recipe for How to make elderberry syrup