I was doing our normal meat free friday (I know its not monday but hey we are different!). I was planning falafel, hummus, baba ganoush and guacamole. Since we are grain free for now while I sort out some issues with me and the kids I decided to do another salad instead of wraps.
Beetroot is very digestive repairing, full of blood boosting nutrients- you can tell by the colour! I want its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects at the moment, it goes so well with carrot- they balance each other out i think, earthy sweetness and crisp sweetness of both. To balance the whole salad I then thought about matching the tang of goats cheese with the texture and spice of the turmeric pumpkin seeds to the honey, mustard kombucha dressing I had planned.
The result was amazing- worked so well as a salad on its own but also brought the flavours of the meal together and added some much needed vibrant colour to our plates too.
Since the summer is pretty much here for us in the tropics we are naturally drawn to lighter and raw foods- salad being top of our list as a side dish- this is now a firm contender for favourite and will be on the table again and again in the future!
- 2 small beetroots (peeled and grated- or mandolin sliced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and grated- or mandolin sliced)
- 250g of your favourite soft goats cheese
- 1/2 cup of turmeric pumpkin seeds(see recipe below)
- 4 tbs Kombucha (I used homemade ginger Kombucha)
- 1tbs olive oil/avocado oil
- Juice of one lime
- 1-2tsp raw honey (to taste)
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- Pink salt and black pepper
- Add the ingredients to a bowl (except goats cheese)
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a jar with a lid and shake well to emulsify- taste and adjust if necessary.
- Add dressing and mix well so all is coated
- Add goats chesse
- If you do not have kombucha for the dressing you can use apple cider or red wine vinegar.
- You can also add a different cheese I just love the tang of the goats cheese with the sweetness of the vegetables and sour notes of the kombucha.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1tbs coconut oil
- pinch of pink salt
- There are two ways to make this recipe- one uses a dehydrator and one uses a frying pan!
- Add coconut oil to the frying pan on a medium heat
- Once oil gets hot add turmeric and fry till fragrant
- Add the pumpkin seeds- they will pop sounding like popcorn. Fry until poping stops
- Turn out onto kitchen towel and allow to dry
- Season with salt
- Add Coconut oil and turmeric together in a bowl to make a paste
- Add pumpkin seeds an evenly coat and add salt
- Spread out onto dehydrator sheet and place in living foods temperature (100f)
- Dehydrate for 12 hours
- Store in glass container in the fridge
- These are great as snacks- watch out for yellow fingers! Otherwise add to salads.