Real Food Banoffee Pie
I have made Banoffee Pie several times. Every time I have made it with Dulce Leche that I have bought. This time I was committed to making my own toffee- without condensed milk (which I do not count as a real food!). See my post on refined sugar for why I love coconut sugar. It is also gluten free packed with healthy fats and proteins to balance the sugar!
This time I am making it for my husband so we made a couple of compromises! He loves real cream so since it is his birthday I have used dairy cream. However I have also included ways to make this dish dairy free. He was happy!
However- I couldn’t do it all by myself. I had some expert help. Especially since it was for Daddy’s birthday!
- For the Base
- 1 cup almonds/cashews
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs ghee (or nut butter)
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 5 medjool dates (pitted)
- For the Toffee
- 200g coconut sugar
- 200mls coconut cream
- 100g butter (I used raw but you can also use coconut oil)
- 1 tsp pink salt
- banana essence (optional)
- Dash of filtered water
- For the rest
- 2 large banana's (sliced thinly)
- 200g double cream
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Chocolate fudge pieces (grated)
- To make the base
- Add all the ingredients to the food processor and blitz until it is looking a little sticky. Turn out contents into a greased pan or spring form pan (for ease of removing later)
- Press the mixture out to rise up the sides of the pan. You want it to be at least 0.5 cm thick.
- Place base in the freezer
- To make caramel
- Place coconut sugar in a saucepan and dash of filtered water.
- On a low heat mix sugar with a wooden spoon. It will quickly turn to liquid caramel. Slowly stir in coconut cream and salt and stir until dissolved.
- I am using raw butter so to keep the enzymes alive I want the toffee to then cool until you can easily hold your finger in it (be careful it may be hot to begin with so use common sense when using finger!)
- When cooled add butter/coconut oil and stir to melt and dissolve.
- Add banana essence if desired
- Pour into a jar and keep in the fridge (bonus- you will probably only use half for the pie- the rest you will have to ration yourself!)
- Whip cream with the cinnamon until stiff
- Slice banana's
- See below pictures for how to layer. Pour Toffee, add banana, then cream and top with grated chocolate. Store in fridge.
- You can make everything in advance but leave off slicing/adding the banana and whipping the cream until just before serving.
I hope you enjoy it!
Come and find my other favourite Gluten Free Sweet Treats on Pinterest