I have a few friends who make yummy protein energy balls for themselves and their kids as snacks. There are many different recipes about. I like to make them with my daughter and son as they absolutely love them. I tend to use what I have in the cupboard and am largely directed by them! This is the recipe that can be adapted to suit your tastes!
- 2 cups nuts and seeds
- (hazelnuts, almonds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, cashews, macadamia)
- 1 cup peanut butter (but it can be any nut butter either home-made or shop bought- I even used half crunchy half smooth. Chocolate almond butter is nice too)
- 1tbs coconut butter or oil
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Here are some optional extras;
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup mixed dried fruit
- 2tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbs coconut nectar/maple syrup (to taste)
- Ground flax to roll them in.
- 1 tbs Maca
- Add the above ingredients to a food processor (or bowl if using the nut butter)
- Blend until the nuts start to release their oil and the until the mixture is 'dry' enough to roll but wet enough to stay together.
- Roll into small balls and roll in the ground flax.
- Refrigerate to harden. Enjoy!
I have linked to Amazon for ingredients but all of these brands are available on iherb